MX23RW : Saturday, July 20 01:04:51| >> :600:222838:222838:
Villarreal logo
Europa League | Round of 16 | 2nd Leg
Mar 14, 2024 at 5.45pm UK
Estadio de la Ceramica
Marseille

Villarreal
3 - 1
Marseille

Capoue (32'), Sorloth (54'), Mosquera (85')
Marcelino (19'), Coquelin (19'), Baena (90+2'), Mosquera (90+2')
FT(HT: 1-0)
Clauss (90+4')
Sarr (18'), Ounahi (48'), Merlin (69'), Kondogbia (84'), Lopez (90+3')

The Match

Preview

Sports Mole previews Thursday's Europa League clash between Villarreal and Marseille, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Form, Standings, Stats

We said: Villarreal 2-1 Marseille (Marseille to win 5-2 on aggregate)

Villarreal tend to enjoy themselves in Europa League home matches, but while we think that they will do enough to claim a second-leg victory, we do not expect the Yellow Submarine to overturn the four-goal deficit from the first leg. Read more.

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Villarreal win with a probability of 41.23%. A win for Marseille had a probability of 34.18% and a draw had a probability of 24.6%.

The most likely scoreline for a Villarreal win was 2-1 with a probability of 8.82%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 1-0 (8.3%) and 2-0 (6.39%). The likeliest Marseille win was 1-2 (7.91%), while for a drawn scoreline it was 1-1 (11.46%). The actual scoreline of 3-1 was predicted with a 4.5% likelihood. Our team at Sports Mole and our data analysis both correctly predicted that Villarreal would win this match.

Result
VillarrealDrawMarseille
41.23% (0.079999999999998 0.08) 24.59% (0.012 0.01) 34.18% (-0.091000000000001 -0.09)
Both teams to score 58.8% (-0.070999999999998 -0.07)
Goals
Over 2.5Under 2.5
55.87% (-0.081000000000003 -0.08)44.13% (0.082000000000001 0.08)
Over 3.5Under 3.5
33.49% (-0.081000000000003 -0.08)66.51% (0.081999999999994 0.08)
Villarreal Goals
Over 0.5Under 0.5
78.55% (0.0040000000000049 0)21.45% (-0.0019999999999989 -0)
Over 1.5Under 1.5
45.52% (0.0050000000000026 0.01)54.47% (-0.0039999999999978 -0)
Marseille Goals
Over 0.5Under 0.5
74.87% (-0.091000000000008 -0.09)25.13% (0.092000000000002 0.09)
Over 1.5Under 1.5
40.16% (-0.127 -0.13)59.84% (0.128 0.13)
Score Analysis
    Villarreal 41.23%
    Marseille 34.18%
    Draw 24.59%
VillarrealDrawMarseille
2-1 @ 8.82% (0.0099999999999998 0.01)
1-0 @ 8.3% (0.029999999999999 0.03)
2-0 @ 6.39% (0.024 0.02)
3-1 @ 4.53% (0.0049999999999999 0)
3-0 @ 3.28% (0.013 0.01)
3-2 @ 3.13% (-0.0049999999999999 -0)
4-1 @ 1.74% (0.002 0)
4-0 @ 1.26% (0.004 0)
4-2 @ 1.2% (-0.002 -0)
Other @ 2.58%
Total : 41.23%
1-1 @ 11.46% (0.010000000000002 0.01)
2-2 @ 6.09% (-0.0099999999999998 -0.01)
0-0 @ 5.39% (0.019 0.02)
3-3 @ 1.44% (-0.006 -0.01)
Other @ 0.21%
Total : 24.59%
1-2 @ 7.91% (-0.013 -0.01)
0-1 @ 7.45% (0.0070000000000006 0.01)
0-2 @ 5.14% (-0.0090000000000003 -0.01)
1-3 @ 3.64% (-0.016 -0.02)
2-3 @ 2.8% (-0.012 -0.01)
0-3 @ 2.37% (-0.0099999999999998 -0.01)
1-4 @ 1.26% (-0.0089999999999999 -0.01)
2-4 @ 0.97% (-0.007 -0.01)
Other @ 2.64%
Total : 34.18%

How you voted: Villarreal vs Marseille

Villarreal
53.8%
Draw
16.6%
Marseille
29.7%
145
Head to Head
Mar 7, 2024 8pm
Round of 16 1st Leg
Marseille
4-0
Villarreal
Veretout (23'), Mosquera (28' og.), Aubameyang (42' pen., 59')
Merlin (13')

Mandi (9'), Comesana (45+1'), Moreno (52'), Cuenca (72')
Moreno (62')
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
1Bournemouth00000000
2Arsenal00000000
3Aston Villa00000000
4Brentford00000000
5Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton00000000
6Chelsea00000000
7Crystal Palace00000000
8Everton00000000
9Fulham00000000
10Ipswich TownIpswich00000000
11Leicester CityLeicester00000000
12Liverpool00000000
13Manchester CityMan City00000000
14Manchester UnitedMan Utd00000000
15Newcastle UnitedNewcastle00000000
16Nottingham ForestNott'm Forest00000000
17Southampton00000000
18Tottenham HotspurSpurs00000000
19West Ham UnitedWest Ham00000000
20Wolverhampton WanderersWolves00000000


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!